We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, August 29, 2016

Lies You Might Believe


The pastor at our assembly just finished a series of messages he titled, “Lies You Might Believe.”  These are lies you typically hear from non-believers who try to denigrate the Christian faith, OR from false teachers who have an agenda, OR from those who really don’t understand what Scripture says.

These messages have some good apologetics information for defending against these lies.  Here are the lies examined by the individual messages:

God Does Not Mean What He Said
We All Worship the Same God
Everyone Is a Child of God
People Are Basically Good
A Loving God Could Not Send Anyone to Hell
You Are Saved By Praying a Prayer
When You Die, God Gains Another Angel
Believe in Yourself and Anything Is Possible
I Deserve to Be Happy
We Should Never Judge


To listen to these messages, go to the sermon topic and use the drop-down window to select the individual message.  You’ll be glad you did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I don't have links to sermons, I could name a few to add:

God wants me happy, and he told me it's ok if I get a divorce.
I'll go to heaven because I've never committed the 'biggies', like murder or stealing.
Everyone will eventually get saved because God is love.
Some people live in hell on earth.
It's a sin to ever be angry.
I don't force my religion on my kids because they can decide for themselves when they are grown.
God doesn't care what we look like on the outside. It's what's on the inside that counts.
Abortion is not murder. It's just a glob of unwanted tissue.
God will be obligated to you if you do this....( fill in the blank)
The style of worship doesn't matter - just the message. Music is neutral, you know.

All lies heard in the world.

Kathryn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Kathryn,

That's great! I told my wife that I could continue with that series for a very long time because the lies we may believe are almost endless.

hymns that preach said...

The problem with too many Christians today is that they believe so much that just isn't true.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Ralph,

You hit the nail smack on the head. And the reason is because they aren't taught well from the pulpit!